Cumberland Area Rides (CAR) is an initiative of the Congregational Church in Cumberland in conjunction with Aging in Place Cumberland.
RIDES TO WHERE: Cumberland Area Rides (CAR) provides rides for medical appointments, pharmacy, grocery shopping, trips to see friends, religious services, food pantry, and general errands.
WHEN AVAILABLE: CAR rides are available Monday-Friday from 9 am‑3 pm and Sunday from 9 am-noon. You must schedule your ride five days in advance if at all possible.
WHO CAN RIDE: Riders must meet all of the following qualifications:
- Reside in Cumberland or North Yarmouth.
- Be at least 60 years old.
- Complete CAR’s rider intake form (available at the Aging in Place kiosk at Cumberland Town Hall, by calling CAR at 829-3367 or emailing email@example.com.) ALL RIDERS must be registered with the CAR program before scheduling a ride.
- Be unable to drive either temporarily or permanently, due to a medical problem, issues related to aging, and/or no access to a car.
- Live alone, have no other means of transportation, or have no friends or family available to transport them.
COST: CAR rides are available free of charge. Volunteer drivers are not reimbursed. (Donations to CAR are always appreciated and can be made through the Congregational Church in Cumberland or through Aging in Place Cumberland—not through drivers).
DRIVERS: Our drivers are highly appreciated volunteers who understand the need for community transportation. They have undergone background and driving record checks, have provided references, and have proof of insurance. To sign up as a volunteer driver, please click HERE.
HOW TO SCHEDULE A RIDE: A rider calls 829-3367 to schedule a ride during the stated timeframe five days before the ride is needed. All rides are coordinated through CAR. Please do not call drivers directly. We will make every effort to fill all ride requests, although there may be occasions when no volunteer is available. Once a ride has been filled, the rider will be notified by the driver and/or CAR coordinator to confirm the date, pickup time, and driving directions.
For more information, click HERE.
Other Transportation Services
Other rides services available to Cumberland residents can be found below:
- Friends In-Home Care provides wheelchair transportation for area residents. Local or long distance, one-time rides or scheduled daily. Riders can use the service for transportation to and from hospitals or facilities, doctor appointments, or work or to visit family and friends. No minimum or maximum distance. For rates and more information: (207) 846-5525 or visit www.friendsinhomecare.com
- ITN Portland: Independent Transportation Network, Dignified Transportation for Seniors. Provides rides within a 15-mile radius of Portland. Offers arm-through-arm, door-through-door dignified transportation. Affordable fares are $1.50 per mile and $4 pick-up fee. FMI: Phone: (207) 854-0505 or http://www.itnportland.org/
- Regional Transportation Program (RTP) RTP is a shared-ride service. Riders need to book trips in advance. Rides are provided to the elderly, people with disabilities or with medical needs, people who have low incomes, and those on MaineCare. Call a Mobility Agent at (207) 744-2666 or (800) 244-0704, or visit http://rtprides.org/ for more information.
- Taxis Servicing CumberlandCheck the yellow pages http://www.yellowpages.com/cumberland-me/taxis
Other sites: http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=taxis&find_loc=Cumberland%2C+ME
or Google: taxis in Cumberland, ME
- For Veterans: The Togus VA Medical Center (VAMC) operates the Disabled American Veterans Volunteer Transportation Network funded through donations to the Disabled American Veterans-Department of Maine. This network links veterans throughout the state of Maine to the Togus VAMC. Phone: (207) 623-5790 or 877-421-8263 x5790 http://www.maine.va.gov/visitors/DAV_transportation.asp